February 12, 2014

Recording



The secret life of a musician... every couple of months he vanishes off the grid for a day or two at a time, reappearing in the night under a pile of cords and instrument cases - tired, stinky, but with a feeling of accomplishment.

I've always been curious about what goes on during a recording session, and I finally got the opportunity to see  the magic for myself.  I lasted about 3 hours (out of 9).  The room wasn't as dark as I expected, but the entrance was much sketchier (an unnumbered door covered in graffiti across from an industrial warehouse. It took a leap of faith to open the door and walk in.).  A few other observations - LOUD, extremely specific technical tweaks, a lot of note-taking, suggestions and consulting, repetitive.  It was pretty impressive to see the technical expertise and collaboration that goes into every little adjustment along the way.

Overall, it definitely gave me a new appreciation for what goes into the making of a gorgeous song, regardless of how simple it sounds to my unsophisticated ear!

http://signup.redlightfever.com/










No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips